About one out of every 3,788 families in the United States owns a piano. While owning a piano isn’t as common as it used to be, there are still hundreds of thousands of pianos in homes nationwide. Since pianos are large and can weigh hundreds of pounds, they present a challenge when moving houses. If you are moving with a piano, you undoubtedly want to ensure that it does not sustain any damage in the process. Moreover, you likely want to make your move as easy as possible. For these reasons, it is a good idea to hire a piano mover. This article will help you understand why hiring a piano mover is the right choice for you. It will also provide some tips on how to find the perfect piano movers!
1. Set a BudgetWhile you may be willing to pay just about anything to ensure that your precious piano stays safe during a move, you don’t want to overpay for a moving service. Decide what you can spend and try to find a company that can safely move your piano for a fair price. On the other hand, you may think about moving your piano by yourself. While it may seem like a great way to save money during a move, it is usually a bad idea. Moving your piano without the proper knowledge, equipment, and manpower will likely end with severe consequences. Unfortunately, you may damage your piano or injure yourself. Thus, it is safer to hire a professional mover who knows how to transport a piano properly.
2. Ask for RecommendationsOne of the essential tips for finding piano movers is to get recommendations. If you play the piano and have friends interested in music, you likely know someone who has already used a piano service. If the experience was favorable, they would be able to recommend the moving company to you. You can also ask at a local music store if they know of any local piano movers. Likely, they have had to move and deliver pianos in the past or know how to find piano movers.
3. Check Online ReviewsOnline reviews are a great way to research businesses, even when it comes to piano movers. People are likely to share their experiences online, especially when they are unfavorable. So be sure to avoid any moving companies that have several negative reviews on their business pages. A good rule of thumb is to search for businesses with four or five-star reviews, as these are likely to provide the best service possible. While you may be willing to try out a restaurant or cheaper service with a three-star review, you shouldn’t take any chances when it comes to something as precious as your piano.
4. Do Research on Moving Companies’ WebsitesAfter checking online reviews, have a look at the companies’ websites. Doing so will help you decide if the company is trustworthy and determine the amount of experience they have moving pianos. While many companies may offer this service, you want to find one that knows how to disassemble, transport, and put pianos back together.
5. Ask QuestionsOnce you have found some reputable piano movers, contact a representative. They will tell you more about their services, experience, and what they include in the price. Before hiring a piano mover, you should ask them the following questions.
- What measures do you take to protect the piano during a move?
- How long have you been moving pianos?
- What kind of training do their movers receive?
- What happens if the piano is damaged?
6. Confirm the Company Provides InsuranceTypically, your move includes insurance in case the item breaks or is damaged. Choosing a reputable company will reduce the chances of your piano being dropped or damaged, but they should still have insurance in case of an accident. Sometimes the movers will include a certain amount of insurance and offer more coverage by request.
7. Ensure the Company Has Proper EquipmentMoving a piano is a serious task that requires specialized equipment. The best piano movers have the following types of equipment to ensure that your piano is moved safely.
- e-track piano moving boards
- custom piano dollies
- moving pads