Background on ShawneeFirst, a bit of background on Shawnee. This historic community is a city in Johnson County, part of the KC metro area. It’s home to 65,000 people, and has enjoyed a population growth of eight percent since 2010. The cost of living in Shawnee is 5.3% higher than the U.S. average. September, May and June are the most pleasant months here, while January and December get quite cold. The average commute time here is 21 minutes, which is shorter than the U.S. average of 26 minutes. Here’s how people in Shawnee get to work:
- 1% drive their own car
- 5% carpool with other people
- 6% work from home
- 3% take mass transit
Excellent Real EstateThe real estate market is good here too, with the median home cost being $267,000. Home appreciation over the last decade clocks in at 7.4%. This Johnson County suburb ranks as one of the country’s hottest ZIP codes by Realtor.com. Young home buyers are coming here due to its affordable housing, revitalized downtown and many amenities. Shawnee also placed in the top five because homes here sell in an average of 13 days, which is 44 days faster than the national average. This community is known for its small-town feel, which makes people want to raise their families here. It also helps that Shawnee is a more affordable KC suburb than others. Many of today’s young home buyers are leaving the big cities for the suburbs so they can take advantage of affordable Midwest metros while housing prices continue to rise. In addition to Shawnee, the top five markets include Rochester, New York; Omaha; Grand Rapids, Michigan; and Boise, Idaho. If you want to rent instead of buy here, you’ll do well. The median rent is $854 a month.
Things to DoBecause it’s located on the banks of the Kansas River, nearby to Lake Quivira, there are many opportunities to get outdoors and explore. For instance, Shawnee Mission Park is a beautiful 1,600-acre park at West 79th Street and Renner Road, and happens to be the largest park in the county. It’s also the most visited park in the entire state. Shawnee Mission Park also has lots of amenities along with a beautiful 120-acre lake, a perfect spot for fishing, boating, sail boarding and more. The park also has shelters, picnic areas, nature trails, play areas, an archery range, off-leash dog park and disc golf course. You can even enjoy some mountain biking and horseback riding. If you like walking, hit up one of these walking trails too:
- Gamblin 63rd & Monticello
- Listowel 71st & Quivira
- Quivira Glenn Summit/51st Street
- Swarner 63rd & Lackman
- KCP&L 51st & Long Drive
- West Flanders 55th & Nieman
- Blackfish Richards Drive and Lackman Road
- Monticello Recreational 63rd and Monticello
- Lackman Recreational 63rd Street, south City limits
- Mill Creek Kansas River & Shawnee Mission Park
- Monticello Johnson Dr. & Shawnee Mission Pkwy
How We Can Help With Your Shawnee MoveBecause we’re a local company, you can rest easy knowing we have handled several moves to and from Shawnee. Here are some great reasons to choose us:
- Our movers are friendly, professional, and experienced.
- We treat all of your items with care and ensure they get from Point A to Point B in the same condition in which they left.
- We worked hard to earn your trust.
- You’ll notice the difference when work with us on your business or home relocation.
- We offer free estimates to help you plan, whether you’re moving into or out of Shawnee.
- We offer both residential and commercial moves.
- We know Shawnee inside and out!