Congratulations, you’ve just moved into your new house! You just carried the last box across the threshold, so that means you’re all settled in, right? Think again. Just because the truck has gone doesn’t mean your to-do list is complete. Read on to learn what to do after you move to complete the moving process and make your new place as comfortable as it can be.
FIRST THINGS FIRST: WHAT TO DO AFTER MOVING
- Unpack your essentials: You should have devoted one box or bag to all your essential items, such as your toothbrush, bath towels, and coffee cup. This is the time to unpack those things so you have them ready to go.
- Deep clean your new house: It might be the last thing you want to do after all that lifting and carrying, but cleaning before you start unpacking means you’ll be able to make a fresh start.
- Set up your utilities: If you haven’t already, you need to reach out to your new utility providers to set up your accounts or transfer your existing account to your new address. This will ensure you don’t experience any outages.
- Turn on your Wi-Fi: Getting your internet connected ASAP will make a lot of other things much easier for you, and it also means you can celebrate all your hard work on that first night by falling asleep in front of Netflix.
- Check your smoke detectors: You don’t know exactly how long those batteries have been in there, so be sure you give your smoke alarms a test so you know they work.
- Change the locks: The previous owners may have handed you the keys, but there’s always a chance there could be a few others they forgot about floating around in the hands of others.
TIPS FOR THE MONTHS AHEAD
Not all post-move tips need to be carried out immediately — some things can wait until you’ve unpacked and have settled in to a certain extent, including:
- Installing a security system: Give yourself peace of mind by having a security system set up on your new house.
- Updating your voter registration: Election day may be months off, but taking care of this soon after you move in can save you a lot of trouble when you head to the polls.
- Exploring your new neighborhood: Your new favorite coffee shop or hair salon may be just around the corner. Taking some time to walk or drive around is a great way to familiarize yourself with your new neck of the woods.
- Changing your vehicle registration and driver’s license: Uncomfortable conversations with police are the worst kind of uncomfortable conversations. Make sure you visit your nearest DMV to update your information before that broken taillight leads to a bigger issue.
Relocating to a new home is a long, complicated process that doesn’t end when moving day does. If you want to take as much of the burden off your shoulders as you can, give Moving Proz a call. Our experienced movers will take care of the grunt work so you can focus on all the other things you need to take care of after your move. Reach out to request a quote from us today.